8.08.2007

Robert Randolph at Live on the Levee


Hi everyone! Okay, sure, it's been a while since my last post, (as most of my friends consistently remind me) but I'm going to stop beating myself up about it... I am, after all, a one-woman show! I do have lots to share from recent weddings and events that I have had the privledge to shoot, and will be posting more as I finish up with production from the first part of the season. So, PLEASE STAY TUNED! I would also love any feedback anyone has to offer, even if it has nothing to do with anything I've posted - just drop in to say hey!
Okay, down to biz. If you have never seen Robert Randolph and the Family Band live, you are missing out folks. I saw them at The Pageant in the Loop on November 9th of last year and had one of the best times at a show ever. I was granted press access by the great people at Celebrate St. Louis to photograph their performance at Live on the Levee last Friday 8.3 in downtown St. Louis and my expectations were again exceeded. The band and its sweaty gathering of faithful followers gave no thought to the thick Mississippi riverfront heat, apparently having an equally enjoyable evening as evidenced by copius dancing in the crowd and just plain gettin' down on the stage. (Kristian was even singing and dancing, good stuff). Watching such a soulful and skilled slide guitarist (or pedal steel - hey guitar bums, are they the same thing?) as Robert Randolph is a moving experience, especially when he decides to cap an evening off, as he did Friday, with his own rendition of Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze." Having collaborated with such industry greats as Eric Clapton and Dave Matthews; RRFB is an incredibly talented and balanced band with Robert's cousin Danyel Morgan on bass, brother Marcus Randolph on the drums and Jason Crosby on the Hammond organ and piano. Their chemistry as a unit is unmistakable having earned a reputation for putting on legendary live performances. Make sure to read more about them on their site, check out their latest album Colorblind and absolutely go to a show if given the opportunity! (They'll be in Rosemont, IL on 8.29 with the Allman Brothers!)

No comments: